Nut Free Chocolate Cupcakes
1/2 cup coconut flour or 2 oz by weight (use dip and sweep method*)
6 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup liquified coconut oil or palm shortening
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or coconut vinegar
6 whole large eggs
1/4 cup (or more) Enjoy Life mini Chocolate Chips
Get the Strawberry Frosting Recipe HERE
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line muffin tins with paper liners or use silicone muffin molds. Often times I use silicone muffin liners instead of paper just because coconut flour baked goods tend to stick to the paper linings.
3. Combine the dry ingredients together and set aside.
*Note: Be sure to use the ‘dip and sweep(scoop)’ method when measuring coconut flour. Dip the measuring cup into the flour, then sweep over the top with a knife or flat edge. Coconut flour is highly absorbent, so proper measuring is imperative to get a nice cake ‘crumb’. 1/2 cup will weigh about 2 oz.
4. Using a mixer or hand whisk, beat the coconut oil, honey, vanilla and vinegar till well combined. Then combine the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and continue to mix until smooth.
5. Incorporate the eggs into the batter 2 at a time till well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
6. Fill prepared muffin tins about 2/3 full and for 22 minutes or until the tops spring back under gentle touch. Baking times will vary from oven to oven and bakeware to bakeware, so keep an eye on then towards the end.Allow the muffins/cupcakes to cool for 10 minutes. Coconut baked goods are best when given proper time to cool so the moisture can redistribute throughout the cake.
7. Make THIS dairy free Strawberry Frosting or use your favorite, frost and serve!
Makes about 10 cupcakes