When I was in my twenties, I managed a little bagel shop called NYC Bagels, at which time bagels became a sort of obsession of mine. My favorite was a salt bagel with cream cheese and a big slice of ripe tomato. It was pure heaven!
Obviously at this time in life, bagels are out of the question for me…..well, the NYC gluten packed ones anyway. So I took my Grain Free Sourdough Recipe, threw it into my little donut maker and out popped some delicious bagels. Ok, maybe not quite the real thing….but they sure hit the spot for me. I hope they’ll hit the spot for you as well!
Note: I don’t think that these little guys would turn out as well in a regular donut pan. They’d still be delicious but not very “bagely” (is that a word?) at all because the high heat from both sides of the donut machine is really what makes these work.
Sourdough Mini Bagels
1. Preheat your donut maker and preheat your oven to 350 degrees. (If using a donut pan, just heat the oven.)
2. Add 2 tablespoons of batter to each donut mini mold. You want the batter to fill up the bottom of the mold and even be rounded so that it fills in the top space nicely. If you do not add enough batter, you will have a flat or fallen looking bagel.
3. Bake according to machine instructions, about 2 minutes on the first side and 1 minute once flipped. Times will vary from machine to machine. Or bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until the tops springs back when gently pressed. Times can vary so keep an eye on them.
4. Remove bagels from the donut maker and let cool on a wire rack. Transfer the bagels to a cookie sheet.
5. Prepare an egg wash by beating together 1 egg yolk and 1 teaspoon of water. Using a pastry brush, lightly cover the tops of each bagel with egg wash. Sprinkle any topping you like on top of the bagels (coarse salt, poppy seed, garlic, sesame….)
6. Bake the bagels in the oven for 5 minutes or until the tops are golden and crusty.
7. Remove from oven and cool. Serve and enjoy.