Sugared Gingerbread Cake Donuts
2 cups fine-ground blanched almond flour* (get the right stuff here)
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ginger powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice or clove
3 whole large room temp eggs, separated
1/3 cup coconut oil
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons unsulphured blackstrap molasses
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
(Optional, these donuts are delicious plain or even drizzled with honey/maple syrup glaze)
1/4 cup melted coconut oil or ghee
1/2 cup maple Sugar or coconut sugar crystals
1 tablespoon cinnamon
I highly recommend a donut maker. The high heat cooking from both sides makes for a great donut like texture pretty much every time and as a bonus they are beautiful and pretty no fail. Donut pans work great too, however the end result will be more muffin like. I use “either or”, depending on my mood.
1. Preheat your mini donut making machine (I like this method best) OR preheat the oven to 350 degrees if you are using a regular donut pan or making into muffins
2. In a large bowl combine the first six dry ingredients. Mix well. Remember when measuring almond flour make sure that it is loose not packed. I like to fluff it up a bit first, dip the cup into the flour to fill it up, then drag a knife over the top to level it.
3. In another bowl mix together the egg yolks, oil, honey, molasses and vanilla until just combined.
Note: It’s important that the eggs are at room temp, otherwise they will cause the coconut oil to harden. A quick way to bring them to room temp is to place the eggs in shell into a bowl filled with warm/hot water. Allow to sit for 3-4 minutes.
5. In a small bowl, beat together the egg whites till soft peaks form. Be sure not to over beat into a firm peak, it won’t fold well into the batter. When you turn your whisk upside down, the peaks should just be starting to hold. They’ll be soft and should melt back into themselves after a second.
6. Combine the dry ingredients and the egg mixture, mix till well combined then fold in the egg whites being sure that all the egg white disappears into the batter. Įtempiamos lubos Vilniuje Gera kaina Montavimas ir priežiūra cempianos.lt
7. Scoop the batter into the molds or fill a ziplock bag twisting the other end to close it. Snip the end off of one of the corners with a scissors to make a pastry bag (or just use a pastry bag with a 1/2 inch tip). Start with a small cut, you can always make it bigger if you need too.
8. Bake/cook the donuts with one of the three instructions below….(yes I do use a donut make or pan with Teflon. it is the best way to not have a sticky mess. Being that we only eat donuts once or twice a year this is not a problem for me. If this is of concern for you, it may be best to just make muffins or cake with this batter.)
Instructions for a donut maker: Squeeze the donut batter (about 2 tablespoons into the mini donut moulds, filling them generously. I find that my machine produces the best donuts when it is filled really full and rounded. This way the batter will expand into the other side of the mold nicely. If you don’t put enough the tops will be flat.
Close the lid and allow to cook for about 2 minutes. The times will vary with each machine. Open the machine and flip them over using the little forked ‘skewer’ that comes with the machine. Close the lid again cook for about one more minute. Remove from the machine and let cool on a wire rack. Repeat with the rest of the batter. Makes 12-15 mini donuts (depending on how much batter you eat during the prep time.)
Instructions for a regular donut pan: Grease the donut pan then fill each mould about 3/4 full. Smooth the tops if needed. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until just firm to the touch. Allow to cool for 5 minutes then remove the donuts from the pan, letting them cool on a wire rack. Makes about 6 regular size donuts
This batter works great for muffin, cakes or loaves.. Baking times will vary for all of these.
Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the outside of the donuts with melted ghee or coconut oil then roll in sugar mixture, serve and enjoy.