Coconut Flour Birthday “Smash” Cake
(Makes One 2 layer 4 inch smash cake)
For the cake:
1/2 cup (60g) coconut flour, sifted
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
5 large (US size) eggs
1/2 cup (112g) coconut oil
1/2 cup (175 ml) honey or maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup raspberry jam (store bought or homemade)
For the frosting: Use THIS recipe
Special equipment needed:
Two 4″ round cake pans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease and line pans with parchment paper
2. In a small bowl, sift all the dry ingredients together and set aside. Then separate 2 of the eggs (yolks from the whites), setting the whites aside.
3. In a large bowl whisk together the 3 whole eggs, two egg yolks, coconut oil, honey or maple syrup, vanilla and lemon juice until they are well combined. Then whisk in the flour mixture till completely smooth, with no lumps.
4. In another bowl beat the egg whites till soft peaks form (looks like softly whipped cream). Gently fold the egg-whites into the batter till theres is only a few streaks of whites visible.
5. Divide the batter into each prepared cake pan and bake 20-25 minutes or until the tops springs back when lightly pressed. Allow the cakes to cool for 5-10 minutes, then carefully remove from the pans and cool completely.
6. If needed or desired, trim the cakes so that they are level then fill with about a 1/4 inch layer of raspberry jam and frost as desired.