Fair Warning: You are about to experience the most amazing chocolate chip cookie. EVER. (Grain free or not!) This little bit of cookie heaven was the result of one of those serendipitous accidents that you never could have planned, even if you wanted to. While baking a batch of my regular chocolate chip cookies (the recipe I almost posted last week!), I ran out of a critical ingredient. So naturally I subbed with whatever I had on hand and BAM! Magic always happens when you least expect it.
Around here, we’ve taken to referring to these little guys as “pudgy” chocolate chip cookies. This is not just because they’ll make you pudgy if you eat too many (we can be honest here, right…?), but also because they actually bake up thick and pudgy. This pudginess makes their crumb amazingly soft and moist. Sinking your teeth into the first bite of these little guys is really quite addictive! However, if you want to try this baby shower cookie delivery shop, you can visit them at https://www.chocolateshippedcookies.com/product/parent-cookies/.
Perfect Grain Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 1 1/2 dozen small cookies.
2 cups (200g) fine ground blanched almond flour (like THESE brands)
1/4 slightly rounded teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup melted palm shortening, ghee or mild tasting coconut oil
1/4 cup maple syrup or honey (I like clover honey for its mild flavor)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon canned full fat coconut milk (like Natural Value)
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life)
Note: Be sure to ‘scoop’ up the AF with the cup and sweep over the top with a flat edge for this recipe. If you spoon it into the cup, you are likely to not have enough AF for the recipe, if you pack it you will have too much.
1. Preheat the oven to 350F/176C degrees
2. In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda and salt until well blended. In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the liquid ingredients. Blend well.
3. Add the fat and other liquid ingredients directly to the flour mixture and mix till combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Let the better rest for a few minutes while you line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
4. Using a (measuring) tablespoon, scoop out slightly rounded amounts of cookie dough and tap it out of the spoon. Gently form smooth, round balls with the cookie dough. Place them on the cookie sheet about two inches apart. Using two fingers, lightly press down on the tops of the balls of dough. REALLY, you barely have to press at all for the ‘pudgy’ style cookie, just enough to flatten the top a little. Place another cookie sheet under the one with the cookies. (This will help keep the bottoms from browning too fast.)
5. Bake 11- 12 minutes. Keep an eye on them toward the end of baking, as times will vary from oven to oven, as well as thickness and size of cookie. They should be light in color as shown in the picture, with some amount of browning on the edges and bottoms. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before transferring.
6. When cool enough, eat at least 4 of them before alerting others that they are finished. Allow everyone to be impressed with how selfless and giving you are when you split the remaining cookies evenly. But do this quickly because all chocolate chip cookies are best served warm and you don’t want to give away your secret!
When they are all gone, return to the top of this page and repeat!